Warhammer 40,000 – Dawn of War is a great RTS series but the way they handle their expansions installations for multiplayer really stinks. Each expansion (Winter Assault, Dark Crusade and Soulstorm) is a standalone installation for single-player campaign with all races available, but if you want to play multiplayer then you need to install the applicable expansion to get those races unlocked. This balloons the full installation to over 15 gigs which is a lot of HD space. So here’s what you can do to avoid all that, just install Soulstorm and as long as you have your serial keys from any of the others in the series then you can have access to the other races.
Step-by-step multiplayer fix:
- Install Soulstorm (the latest expansion)
- Go into the directory where you installed it, copy Soulstorm.exe and paste a copy of it in the same directory.
- Rename it to DarkCrusade.exe
- Download the fix unlocker here or DDL here . Unzip it and run the unlocker.exe.
- It’ll ask you to search for where the DarkCrusade.exe so browse to it and select it.
- Now you’ll get a screen where you can enter whichever serials you have for the games. No need to select a patch version at the bottom.
- If you browse now to the game directory and if you had serials for all of the expansions and the original then you’ll find a W40k.exe and W40kWA.exe. Copy one of them and paste a copy in the same directory. Rename that file to DarkCrusade.exe after deleting that original one you arbitrarily made.
- Now when you load the game just enter the same serials for each game when it asks you and voila you’ll have all the races unlocked for multiplayer.
If you are having trouble with getting the exe’s then here’s all 4 of them: Download Link
Happy lan’ing and get ready for Dawn of War 2 on the horizon.